Snapple "Real Fact" 131
"Penguins have an organ above their eyes that converts seawater to fresh water."
Some more information on this gland:
- It's called the supraorbital gland
- Other seafaring animals have it. Such as, stingrays, alligators, marine birds, etc..
- Sharks have one near their rectum
- The salt gland usually releases the extra salt as a concentrated salt solution
- When their beak is full of salt, a penguin will bang its beak against a rocks to release the built-up salt
- It's believed that the human sweat gland and tear ducts are similar evolutionary devices